CAPI is a State-funded program designed to provide monthly cash benefits to certain aged, blind or disabled legal immigrants who are not eligible for Supplemental Security Income/State Supplemental Payment (SSI/SSP) solely due to their immigration or non-citizen status. 

  • Qualified Immigrant -An immigrant lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States, which include: lawful permanent resident, refugees, asylees, persons granted withholding of deportation or withholding of removal, conditional entry, paroled into the U.S. for at least a year, Cuban/Haitian entrants, and certain battered spouses and children. 


  • PRUCOL Immigrant -An immigrant residing in the United States under the Color of Law. An immigrant without a permanent residence status, but who is known to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and the USCIS is not taking steps to deport or remove this alien from the United States.

You are not eligible for CAPI if: 

  • You are a U.S. citizen
  • You are in a public institution
  • You are a fleeing felon/parole violator
  • You are not a California resident

Yes. An immigrant with a sponsor can get CAPI if he/she meets all CAPI eligibility 


To be eligible, a legal immigrant must complete the CAPI application process and meet all of the following: 


  • Aged or Disabled 
    • Age 65 or over
    • Blind or disabled, as determined by the California Disability Determination Service Division
  • Income
    • Anything you receive in cash or
    • in-kind that can be used or sold to meet your needs for food, clothing and shelter. In-kind income is not
    • cash. It is food, clothing, shelter, or something that can be used to get any of these
    • Your monthly income, after a certain amount is disregarded, must be
    • less than CAPI Payment Standard, which is less than SSI/SSP Payment Standard:
      • Less than $10.00 for an individual
      • Less than $20.00 for a couple
  • Resources
    • Cash or other property that you own and can be converted into cash for support and maintenance.
    • Must be less than allowable limits:
      • $2,000 for an individual
      • $3,000 for a couple
  • The following are not counted as resources: 
    • Main place of residence (regardless of value).
    • One car, necessary for employment, medical treatment, or daily activities (regardless of value). If not being used for these purposes, one car may be excluded up to $4,500.
  • Resident Of California
    No period of residency is required at the time of application. However, you will be considered a non-resident if you are physically absent in California for more than 90 calendar days. 
  • Ineligible For SSI/SSP Solely Due To Immigration Status
    Your ineligibility must be verified by a denial letter from Social Security Administration. 

You may apply in person at any General Relief District Office. You may call the toll free Customer Service Center at 1-866-613-3777 to receive an application by mail, if you are homebound or in residential care. 

You may be eligible; however, you must apply for each program separately. 



To ask for a State Hearing - you or your Authorized Representative can request a State Hearing as follows: 

  • Call the California Department of Social Services (COSS) State Hearing Division at 1-800-952-5253
  • Write to:
    • Appeal and State Hearing Section
      P.O. Box 18890 

Los Angeles, CA 90018 


  • File online at COSS: shd/pubintake/cdss-request. Aspx

To ask for assistance if you need help because of a disability - you may contact the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Liaison at your local DPSS office or contact: 


DPSS ADA Title II Coordinator 12860 Crossroads Parkway South Phone: (844) 586-5550 

Fax: (562) 692-2240 


TTY: (877) 735-2929 (California Relay) Office Hours only 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 


To file a civil rights complaint against DPSS staff that you feel have discriminated against you, you may ask your Eligibility Worker (EW) or the Civil Rights Liaison at your local DPSS ) office for a Complaint of Discriminatory treatment (PA 607) form. You may also call 1e Civil Rights Discrimination Complaint Hotline at (562) 908 - 8501.

  • Complete the application process.
  • Report any change in immigration status, income, property, household composition, address or other facts that affect initial or continued CAPI eligibility or payment amounts within 10 days to your EW.